Thursday, January 24, 2013

"Eat Your Greens" Lunch Wrap

A few weeks ago, I tried this recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.  It's a great eggplant and zucchini casserole that was a big hit with our dinner guests.  Included in the recipe is a bean paste that serves as one of the layers in the casserole.  I fell in love with this paste, and decided to create my own recipe where it could be the star of the show .  I modified it just a bit to make it more spreadable, and the "Eat Your Greens" Lunch Wrap was born.  I like this wrap because it sneaks in an extra cup of spinach along with the lettuces used in the filling of the wrap.  As a vegetarian, I'm always looking for ways to add leafy greens to my diet because they pack quite a punch in the nutrition department.  This recipe does the trick!

"EAT YOUR GREENS" LUNCH WRAP

Ingredients:
15 oz. can Great Northern Beans
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup fresh spinach, firmly packed
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Tortillas/Wraps  (I prefer sprouted grain tortillas)
Vegetables of your choice for stuffing the wrap.  Here, I used two different types of lettuce, avocado, red pepper, onion, and a little extra spinach.

*Nutritional yeast is rich in vitamin B12, folic acid, and amino acids.  It's also a good source of protein and it's low in fat.  It comes in powdery, flake-like form (it reminds me of fish food), and it has a nutty, cheese-like flavor.  I add it to many different recipes, both for its flavor and its nutritional benefits

1.  Drain and rinse beans.  Place beans, yeast, spinach and spices in food processor and blend until smooth.

2.  Slowly add olive oil, processing until you have reached the desired consistency (see pictures for reference).

3.  Spread bean paste on tortilla, stuff with vegetables, roll, and ENJOY!


Gather Ingredients.

Place beans, yeast, spinach and spices in food processor and blend until smooth.


Spread bean paste on tortilla.  The tortilla shown here is a regular flour tortilla, but I prefer sprouted grain tortillas.

Add greens (and Purples!)

Continue adding vegetables until you can fit no more.

Roll up and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment