Thursday, January 3, 2013

Beet, Frisee, Fennel, and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Viniagrette

I love beets.  Hmmmm... that's not something I thought I'd ever say.  I've never been a huge fan, but my sister-in-law recently changed my mind when she made the salad pictured to the left.  She was staying with us for a few days during the Christmas holiday, and she told me that she had a craving for a beet and goat cheese salad.  After buying the ingredients, she headed to the kitchen and started creating.  I wish I would have known what she was up to in there, because I would have taken step-by-step photos to chronicle the process.  Instead, I just have a few beautiful pictures of the finished product.  You'll have to use your imagination to figure out what it looked like along the way.

BEET, FRISEE, FENNEL, AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD

Ingredients:

Dressing:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
Salt and pepper

Salad:
2 medium-large golden and/or red beets
1 bunch of frisee (arugula, mixed greens)
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly shaved
½ cup of shallots (red or white onions can also be substituted)
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled



1.  Roast the beets.  Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap unpeeled beets loosely in foil and roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool, then remove skins. (You can rub them off with a paper towel). Then cut into 1-inch wedges.


2.  Prepare the dressing.  Mix all ingredients until combined.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.  

(Dressing and beets can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill. Bring both to room temperature before continuing.)

3.  Soak the shallots/onions.  Thinly slice shallots/onions, then add them to the dressing.  Allow them to soak while you prepare the rest of the salad.  This will mix the flavors beautifully.

4.  Make the salad.  Combine beets, frisee, and fennel in a bowl; add 2 tablespoon dressing (reserve the rest); add onions; toss. Top with goat cheese.






1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much CarrieJo for sharing this dish that I made on your post! I feel so honored! I love your blogs, I have learned so much!

    ReplyDelete